Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Days 237 & 238 - Nov. 23 & Nov. 29, 2011



Day 237 - Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 min. 
5.6 pounds

Day 238 - Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 min.
2.6 pounds
total for both days - 8.2 pounds
Daily Ocean total - 903.9 


The night before Thanksgiving I got all the way to the beach, turned on my new-ish camera and my battery had no juice. Again. Perhaps twice, or maybe three times now, is enough for me to remember that this new little 14 mega-pixel Lumex has some kinks I need to attend to. Having no pictures from my 237th beach cleanup, I have lumped two days into one post. 


It is great to be home from Thanksgiving after a trip to Louisiana to visit our friends who may as well be family. I miss them already, but I love where we live. They've promised to come for a visit over the next year. I hope so. Herbert - who will be 14 - would really like body surfing with me in the morning. And Charlotte - who will still be 10 if they come in the summer - will love coming for beach cleanups at sunset. I've known their mother Lisa for 15 plus years now. It's a real treasure to be close to someone who's been in your life for so long. Holiday time can turn into a series of tense family gatherings. 
We're lucky we escaped that.


I found a black plastic bag on both day 237 and 238. 


Mad Lib idea - "In Los Angeles you find (noun), which is (verb) all over the beaches."



The water wasn't too, too cold this morning, and the waves were up! We did find a sick loon though. The bird rescue guys were on their way, but it died before they arrived. My friend Kit reminded me that, "It's a tough life out there." He's right. Marine animals, hell all wild animals, face challenge after challenge to stay alive. My brain throws in potentially eating a bunch of plastic crap and other junk along with weather, predators, hunting/fishing, and a plethora of man-made threats. 
Perhaps the Loon died of old age. Perhaps not. 



No comments:

Post a Comment