Monday, December 13, 2010

12/13/10 UPDATE 1 - 5 GYRES RESEARCH EXPEDITION


So much goes into a research expedition like the one that we are preparing for with The 5 Gyres Institute in the spring of 2011 that I thought I would put up periodic updates on The Daily Ocean for you to track our progress.

I will be blogging the heck out of our expedition that is planning to cross the South Pacific from Chile to Easter Island, and then on to Tahiti. THAT'S OVER 4,860 MILES OF OCEAN

We mapped our route on google earth the other morning. I was questioning my sanity after taking a good look at the distance we will cover.

I've included a CALL FOR SPONSORSHIP below that gives the pertinent information for sponsoring a trawl which collects plankton specimens, plastic micro-pollutants, and more.

This is an exciting time to be involved in this critical research. Please leave me a comment, or email me if you would like more information.
thedailyocean@yahoo.com


Garen and I for The 5 Gyres institute this summer at the Venice Eco Fest

Garen will be collaborating with Dr. Rebecca Shipe from UCLA who is a leading expert in the field of plankton biology. They got together this morning to take water samples off of the Santa Monica Pier to make sure that Garen is up to speed on the equipment she is generous enough to lend us.

No comments:

Post a Comment