Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 157 - Sept. 24, 2010

lifeguard tower 26 - Ocean Park, Santa Monica CA
trash collected for 20 minutes
3 pounds
637 pounds total
Tony Barboza, a reporter for the LA Times, wrote a great article about The Daily Ocean. It is up online, but will appear in print in the Sat. edition of the LA Times. Feeling pretty excited, and honored right about now.

Thanks to Tony for writing a clear, well written piece about my blog and adventures since I've started writing The Daily Ocean.
Tomorrow is Coastal Cleanup Day.

Sign up with Heal the Bay to visit the beach and clean it up between 9 - 12. You can do yoga beforehand if you are an early riser, or sample food from local LA food trucks when you are done.

- Kayla Coleman the Care 2 website
Siel of green LA girl wrote up a great post about CCD, highlighting BYO for CCD. Bring Your Own (bag and gloves) for Coastal Cleanup Day. Right On!

7 comments:

  1. It's an AWESOME article Sara! It's so appropriate that they're running it this weekend... hoping it'll inspire some more people to get out to the beach and do what you do.

    That quote about plastics finding their way to the ocean... reminded me of what I've been thinking about a lot lately... I think that every single drain needs to say something about draining to the ocean or other water source. I think there's a lack of understanding for the most part about where all drains lead to...

    Thanks so much for inspiring me... look forward to visiting soon!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wanted to let u know i saw the article this morning.. i live north of u and i've seen the trash along the beaches... i think by the time people realize, it will be a little too late.. i've seen the quality of the s.m. beach water deteroriate over the years.. i was in maui a few years ago and the water there is not as clear as it use to be... this goes w/out saying and i know u've heard it before - u should be commended for your daily endeavor..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing to see you and your work in the paper. That's great news that it's reaching such an audience. Thanks again for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you thank you for your daily efforts. great article in the LA Times today. I am so impressed by your dedication. Although I cannot take the time you do every day, I try to make small contributions. When I take my granddaughter to a local park, I always make it my mission to pick up trash and throw it away. I cannot even tell you how many capri sun and juice boxes I pick up at the parks. Obviously left behind by children at a party. Are the parents even aware or do they even care that this litter is all over our parks?? Keep up the good work and thank you for the inspiration to keep on trying to clear out the litter! And people who throw cigarette butts everywhere, don't even get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle -

    It is going to be so fun to have you out here!

    thanks for all you do and all of your support!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy -

    Thank you for looking up The Daily Ocean and taking the time to comment. I always like to hear what people think about this project.

    thanks for your interest
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous --

    Every little bit helps. It truly does. I have to believe that to my core. It is the individual efforts that make up the collective change. We need you to pick up trash in the park so that others can see you do it, just as much as we need it collected off the beach.

    thanks for your comment!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete